Steps To Take
Depending on where the death occurs, there are many things to consider. Here’s what you should do.
- Hospital or Care Facility: Upon admittance, you will need to notify the medical staff that Hansen Mortuaries (602-944-1561) will be handling arrangements.
- Anticipated Death at Home: Today, more people with terminal illnesses are choosing to die at home under the care of hospice. If this is your choice, you should notify hospice that Hansen Mortuaries will be handling your arrangements. Often when someone has a terminal illness, the family will decide to pre-arrange the funeral with us so that they are not overwhelmed with the many important decisions at the time of death.
- Unanticipated Death at Home or Elsewhere: In these situations, immediately call 911. The police and emergency medical personnel will then determine the appropriate steps to be taken. Often, the police can release your loved one directly to our funeral home. However, in certain cases, their body may need to go to the Medical Examiner office so they can determine the cause of death.
- Death out of state: If the death occurs outside of Arizona, you should call Hansen Mortuaries on our toll-free telephone number 1- 800-447-3450. We can coordinate arrangements with a local funeral director at the place of death. Being a member of several national associations, Hansen Mortuaries has a list of reputable funeral homes throughout the country.
You May Need To Consider
There are many actions that you may need to consider. We’ve provided a list of common actions and considerations to help you prepare.You may need to consider contacting some or all of the following:
- Cemetery, Funeral Director
- Family, relatives, friends and neighbors
- Minister and Church
- Attorney and Accountant
- Insurance Agent
- Unions or Fraternal Organizations
You may need to obtain or provide certain information:
- Providing vital statistics about the deceased for the obituary
- Preparing and signing the required paperwork
- Providing addresses for people who must be notified
- Answering phone calls, messages and letters
- Meeting and talking with everyone about the details
- Greeting all friends and relatives who call
You may need to consider making the following decisions:
- Funeral / Memorial Service
- Service time and location
- Reception gathering
- Burial Space / Niche, Casket / Urn
- Printed Memorial Media, Video Tribute
- Flowers, Music
- Scripture readings and Poems
- Clergy or Officiant
- Cards of Thanks
You may need to budget for some or all of the following services:
- Doctor, Nursing Home / Hospital, Medicine and Drugs
- Cemetery, Funeral Costs
- Memorial Marker or Monument
- Interment Service
- Clergy, Organist/Soloist
- Florist, Reception
At a time of grief, this list will seem endless to your survivors. By pre-planning, you eliminate most of these and ease the burden for your family.